Tuesday, September 19, 2006

CLOUDS!

My friend Heather just emailed these pictures out. I LOOOOOVE clouds. And sky. These are beautiful, thought I'd share.

Jorn Olsen works for the Dutton-Lainson Co. in Hastings, Nebraska, and lives by Heartwell Park next to Hastings College. The other nighthe took these photos. The stadium lights are at the Hastings Collegestadium just east of his home.The clouds are called Mammatus clouds. They do not precede a tornado, or foretell a storm, but are formed when the air is already saturatedwith rain droplets and/or ice crystals and begins to sink. The worst of the storm is usually over when these kinds of clouds are seen.They are quite rare, but really beautiful.






12 comments:

SilberBook-Blog said...

Thank you for the images. I am transformed into a world where writing takes place!

alan

Anonymous said...

That is really effing cool!!
~TS

Rita said...

Amazing!

roz said...

It's hard to believe those are real. I've never seen anything like it, very cool!

Nancy said...

Those are amazing!

Anonymous said...

Alvina,

I am nearly 60 years old and I have NEVER seen clouds like that. They look otherwordly. What amazing photographs!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm in love with those clouds. I want to hire some to live over my house. Thanks for the pics!

Disco Mermaids said...

Hey Alvina,

First, those clouds are the most insane things I've ever seen!

Second, I just read your "Juggling" post...OMG!! Are you kidding me? How you manage to do all that work AND train for a marathon...not to mention, eat, sleep, breathe, is beyond me.

I feel like such a slacker. You're my new hero. Don't forget to take a break to watch Survivor tonight!

:) Eve

Greg Pincus said...

I don't know if you know about the Cloud Appreciation Society. You'd like their web site. You'd probably like their books, too. But really, now can you not like a site with "cloud of the month" pictures?

alvinaling said...

Hey Greg, thanks for that site! I had actually heard about it one the radio a while ago and meant to check it out, and then of course forgot about it, but yeah--right up my alley.

Clouds.

And Eve, I watched SURVIVOR last week...was kinda slow for me. But Yul seems like the strongest player to me. We'll see how it goes...

Anonymous said...

Those clouds look really scary

Anonymous said...

These are real? I thought they were some sort of Seussian photoshop creation! I've never seen such a thing.