Monday, September 21, 2009

Take a break!

Re-posted from the Blue Rose Girls.

As I mentioned in a past post, it's been a particularly hectic summer, and as a reward for/respite from the stress, the editorial group took off a few hours early last Friday for an outing. And where did we go? I'll give you five clues:




Perhaps you've guessed it? We went to the High Line! Faithful readers of this blog, and fans of Peter Brown's The Curious Garden, will recognize this amazing public space. This was only my second trip to the High Line--my first was at night, and it was just as lovely, and a much different feel:


If you're in the New York area, be sure to check it out.

After our stroll on the High Line, we made our way to the roof deck of the bar Brass Monkey for drinks and work gossip. And now it's back to the grind. But no matter how busy one is, a break is always necessary and can do wonders to the spirits. I was talking to an author friend at brunch yesterday about what we do to relax--she records a ton of TV shows and takes a chunk of time to watch them all at once. I love reading my Entertainment Weekly and watching reality television. How do you all veg out when you're stressed and need a break?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ways to decompress? It depends on the stressor. Sometimes I need to go for a run on a new route. Other times I crave a big latte in a mug, not a paper cup. A good book is always an option. But the way I relaxed this summer, my guilty pleasure, was by watching Seasons 1-3 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer with my two sons. So much fun!

Rita said...

I sing. In my car. And then gather friends together and go to karaoke. Depending on stressed I am, I might just take Damon.

What a glamorous looking editorial group!

Victoria Dixon said...

It depends on what outlet's available.
If I'm alone in the car, belting an appropriate Broadway tune helps.
If I can take a walk alone, that's best. I can still belt, or I can whip out the writing implements and have a fight with the white page. Either way, I get exercise. :)
If I need to be quiet, but remain inside, an appropriate book, writing or drawing are all great.

T.S. said...

I love Andrea in that first picture. She looks like she's tossing her hair in a carefree manner. It seems very model-y.