Tuesday, January 16, 2007

My polar bear dream

I know hearing other people's dreams is usually very boring, but I had a somewhat interesting one that I thought I'd share. Last night I dreamed that I was in a huge house that vaguely resembled my parents' house, except it was probably 5 times larger. And I was with a group of people when all of a sudden we heard the most agonizing animal scream I've ever heard, not that I've heard many animal screams. It was coming from the dining room, so we opened the door and I saw a glimpse of some kind of firepit with an animal tied to a turning spit. One of the guys I was with instinctly ran in to save the animal, and right after doing that we all suddenly realized that there was a huge polar bear in the room. I just remember thinking, RUN! The adrenaline kicked in and we all ran for it. A friend and I ran up to the third floor thinking that the bear wouldn't come up there, but after a few minutes, we realized that the bear was indeed climbing the stairs, running after the guy, we had nowhere else to run, and were running out of time. So we climbed over the stair railing and jumped onto the second floor below.

At this point I started to wake up, but forced myself to stay asleep and continue the dream, which proceeded to be different scenes of me running from the bear, finding trap doors and hiding places. At one point I was in an attic-like space, found a beehive and a bee buzzed into my hair and never came out.

And that's about it.

This morning I did some dream dictionary research and found the following here:

Bear

To dream that you are being pursued or attacked by a bear, denotes aggression, overwhelming obstacles and competition. You may find yourself in a threatening situation. Alternatively, bears symbolize the cycle of life and death and renewal. It may signal of period of introspection and thinking. The dream may also be a pun on "bare." Perhaps you need to bare your soul and let everything out into the open.

To see a polar bear in your dream, signifies a reawakening.

Bees

To see bees in your dream, symbolizes good luck, harmony, and bliss. Bees are also symbolic of work and industry as represented by the common phrase "busy as a bee."

Beehive

To see a beehive in your dream, denotes that there are many opportunities for you to get ahead in life and to not let them escape from your grasp. It symbolizes hard work and the importance of teamwork. A promotion may be in store for you.

I'll welcome any other interpretations, but I kinda like the reawakening meaning.

8 comments:

Libby Koponen said...

I actually LIKE hearing people's dreams -- but I think to know what any dream means you need to know what the dreamer associates with tne images, words, scenes....

There is something cool about a polar bear in a dream and a polar bears and bees in the same dream: wild! I'd say having both together probably means something but again, it depends on your associations.

Have you read the fairy tale (not the new book, the old Norwegian fairy tale) EAST OF THE SUN AND WEST OF THE MOON?

That would be MY first association with a polar bear-- but it's not my dream! And then there are all those bears in THE GOLDEN COMPASS.....

Anonymous said...

Either that, or you've been watching Lost season 1 lately. :)

alvinaling said...

Yeah, the thing is, I have no idea where the polar bear came from. I've read EAST OF THE SUN, but not in a few years, and I haven't watched LOST at all. So...well, the reawakening part I can sorta understand, and that's what makes it cool.

Linda S. Wingerter said...

I love hearing people's dreams, and i love that the bear was a polar bear specifically, cause they are repeating for me lately, and yes I watch LOST... I like to meditate on an animal that comes like that, and that maybe one of its unique talents is something I need. Polar bears are fierce, good swimmers, and blend in with snow, but here it was out of its element, and not camoflouged (like LOST!). Bees serve a queen, have an intense community structure, share navigational instructions, turn pollen into honey. Wonder a lot what the animal was over the fire pit...

Anonymous said...

I agree with* Libby above.

(*Hi, Libby! My name’s Rita! It’s nice to meet you!)

My French teacher once told me houses, in a dream, “always” symbolize life. Of all the dream interpretations I have ever heard (which have been a lot, because I love this topic), I find this one the most convincing, because most people I know grew up in houses.

If, however, you grew up in a teepee, then I’d imagine a teepee would symbolize life for you, while a house would symbolize something quite different.

I’m interested in the fact your parents’ house started out five times bigger. If I were you, I’d start there. (Your world is bigger now . . . ?)

:)
r

P.S.
Vivid and cool!

Unknown said...

Hi Alvina
I am in Taiwan. Chiayi City.
http://bubbieandzadie.blogspot.com

I believe in BLOOMabilities too!

SMILE

danny bloom

http://nevertoolatetobegin.blogspot.com

email me at danbloom AT gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Well, I have my own private suspicions about where that polar bear came from--I think his name was Nimrod. :-)

--Erin M.

Reya Mellicker said...

Wow. How do you do? I'm Reya and I had a dream about a polar bear this week, too

http://thegoldpuppy.blogspot.com/2008/01/dreamscapes.html

followed a couple of days later by the strange coincidence of running into some activists dressed as polar bears (I live in DC).

ttp://thegoldpuppy.blogspot.com/2008/01/let-there-be-white.html

My sister found your blog. I look forward to reading more at some point, but today I am blown away by the similarity of our dreams and the timing. I posted my dream on Monday, you posted yours on Tuesday.

All I can say is: wow.