Saturday, January 07, 2006

My Year in Music, 2005: Part 2


My Year in Music continued. These are shorter descriptions, so I whipped off a bunch:

3. Kelly Clarkson - Since U Been Gone
American Idol has been my guilty pleasure. However, I've never had any interest in buying/listening to the winner's actual album, until I started hearing Kelly Clarkson's Breakaway constantly on my Yahoo Radio, and it just got stuck in my head, and finally I broke down when the album was the featured selection on BMG. It was my first new music purchase in a while, and I remember listening to the album over and over in my early days of living in my new apartment. Lots of breakup themes in the songs, too, which was fitting.

4. Elvis Presley - Suspicious Minds
I just really like this song--my favorite Elvis song. I have major trust issues--I think I always have (mainly, I don't trust myself, which makes it hard to trust someone I'm in a relationship with), but it's worse now, so that fits the theme of this year, too. And it reminds me of Halloween because one of Ruben's friend came dressed as Elvis and I asked him to sing this song.

5. Alanis Morissette - You Learn
I was friendstered by someone who works for the New York Post about possibly appearing on their dating website, where they'd profile me and have me choose from three guys, and then they'd pay for me to go out on a date with them. At the time I wasn't seeing anyone and thought, eh, why not, free meal, and so she sent me the application. One of the questions was, "What is your theme song?" so I thought about it for a few days, and then came up with this one, because I felt it was most fitting with my philosophy on life, that everything, no matter how bad, is a learning experience that makes you stronger. Then I started dating someone and decided I didn't want to be in the Post. Oh well. Coulda been.

6. The Trash Can Sinatras - Funny
I tried match.com for a month or so (technically signed up for two months because I didn't cancel in time, but didn't really do anything in month 2), but honestly wasn't ready to date yet. Anyway, as my "headline" I used a line from this song, "She's a funny kind of girl" because I couldn't think of anything else to use. And I think I'm kinda funny. Both funny ha-ha and funny strange. And I love this song--it reminds me of college.

7. Morrissey - I Like You
Another new music purchase that for a time was the only album I had at work, so I was listening to it over and over. When I started dating again, and decided that I liked someone, the chorus would stick in my head, but at the time forgot where it was from. Finally figured it out.

8. The Cure - In Between Days
This was a late addition, just because I thought a mix-CD from me wasn't complete without the Cure. The lyrics don't really match anything specific, but the sentiment does. In a way, I saw this year as my in between time. Where I was recovering from something, not quite ready to really live the life I wanted to live. Then again, I think I did more actual living this year than I have in a while, which is why it was such a great year. I was reborn!

9. Genesis - Follow You, Follow Me
The first night I went over the Taxiguy's place (the guy who I met by sharing a taxi with, then dated for about two months), he played me this song and said that he loved it and if he ever got married this would play at his wedding. I had loved Genesis as a kid, but this reminded me of their existence, and I found the song incredibly romantic. And even though I didn't see a future with him, it made me hope that someday I'd find someone to share the feeling of this song with.

10. Lou Reed - Perfect Day
This is a song I'd sing when I was happy, after doing something fun and exhilarating and perfect, and I found that many times this year I'd be singing it while out with my new group of friends that Eveline and I dubbed the Randoms. Charlie and I would always sing it while walking down the street going from one bar/party to another. So Randoms, this one's for you! You know who you are.  :)
Still more to come! Stay tuned.

I have a busy weekend ahead, lots of plans, lots of friends visiting from out of town, trying to pack and prepare for my Thailand trip for Grace and Steve's wedding. Need to buy shoes. Am leaving on Wednesday the 11th, back on the 22nd. Egads!

No comments: